Sabtu, 01 Desember 2012

MAKING SUGESTION AND REQUESTING SOMETHING



Making Suggestion is how you express your suggestion to someone. 


There are a number of ways used when making suggestions :

1)         WHAT ABOUT/HOW ABOUT ... + Base form + -ING
      •       What about going to the swimming pool tomorrow?
      •       How about going to the swimming pool tomorrow?
2)         WHY + Negative
      •       Why don't we go to the swimming pool tomorrow?
3)         IMPERATIVE: Let's + Base form
      •       Let's go to the swimming pool tomorrow! 
4)         COULD
      •       We could go to the swimming pool tomorrow.
5)         DO YOU WANT + the infinitive
•       Do you want to go to the swimming pool tomorrow?
Making a Suggestion
Responding
          I suggest that …
          I would suggest that …
          My suggestion is …
        What about …
          Perhaps we should …
          We’d better/ we must …
          A possible solution  to your problem is …
•          That’s a good idea
•          It’s a good suggestion, thanks.
•          You are right.
•          Yes, let’s do it
•          I think so
•          Yes, you’re right.
•          That’s what is in my mind

Requesting Something is what we say when we want to ask someone to do something for us

 
 ASK SOMEONE TO DO SOMETHING FOR YOU
      •          Requesting
      •          Would you mind …, please?
      •          Can/Could you …?
      •          Will/Would you …?
      •          Please …
      •          Accepting Requests
      •          Sure, I’d be glad/happy to …
      •          Of course/Certainly.
      •          No problem.
      •          Sure. Just a moment.



      •          Refusing Requests
      •          I’d loved to, but …
      •          It sounds great, but …
      •          I’m/sorry, but …
      •          Sorry to say that …

Example making polite request :
      •          Could you open the window for me, please?
      •          Would you mind closing the door for us, please?"
      •          Can you close the door for me, please?
      •          Could you possibly show me the way to the post office, please?
      •          Would you help me with this exercise, please?
The responses for that polite request can be
      •          Sure.
      •          Certainly.
      •          Why not
      •          With a pleasure.
      •          I'd be glad to.
      •          I am afraid I can't.
      •          I am sorry I can't.
The pattern
      •          Would you mind is followed by the verb and -ing.

ASKING IF YOU CAN DO SOMETHING
      •          Asking polite permission to do something
      •          "Can I use your phone, please?"
      •          "Could I borrow some money from you, please?"
      •          "Do you mind if I turn on television?"
      •          "Would you mind if I turned off the lamp?"
      •          The responses can be
      •          No. I don't mind
      •          Not at all
      •          No, of course not
      •          No, that would be fine
      •          I am afraid, yes
      •          Yes, I do mind
      •          The pattern
      •          Could is more polite than can.
      •          Do you mind if…" is followed by the verb in the present tense.
      •          would you mind if… is followed by the verb in the past tense.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar